.

.

Thursday, December 12, 2013

An update (mostly on Mom)

Baby Cash is finally HOME!  We came home yesterday evening and he is doing wonderful.  Eating like a champ, pooping real baby poop...like a champ, and loving all the snuggles and songs from Addison and Brogan. 

A little update on me- I'm sort of feeling like I've been hit by a truck.  My body aches all over.  I am pretty sore and bruised where they put in my IV (and also where they attempted to put my first IV in, dug around a little, and ultimately failed), also where the nurse gave me two vaccines in my legs.  I'm sore in the "down there" regions and in my stomach (for obvious good reasons).  My back is sore from top to bottom and my breasts are now sore from engorgement (which only started this morning).  All of this is pretty standard (not how it happened with my other two), but all to be expected after delivering a nine pound baby! 

So remember how they were concerned that I would get a spinal headache?  I had a mild headache, but it was never so bad that I couldn't be sitting up or be getting around.  The anesthesiologist and Dr. were pretty sure that since I didn't get it immediately I would not get it at all.  Unfortunately, I'm sure now I have it. On Tuesday afternoon my left ear started ringing.  It was more irritated by loud noises, so as long as it was somewhat quiet I was fine.  Then Tuesday night Cash was up ALL night.  I really tried to be up with him, but I was so exhausted and his screaming just irritated it more.  Stewart (my hero) stayed up with him for three hours pacing around our small little room, trying to comfort our baby (I think he must have had a tummy ache).  Wednesday morning my headache wasn't so bad, but the ringing never stopped.  The doctor looked in my ear and everything looked fine so he told me to come back in a few days if it persisted.  We were discharged around one o'clock Wednesday and that's when the headache started to get worse.  I took my drugs the doctor gave me and was chugging my Dr. Pepper (also Dr. prescribed), and it was just a terrible headache.  Last night after we visited Grandpa Funk I came home and lied down immediately.  After half an hour I got up to try and help Stewart put the kids to bed.  The pain shot to my head and I literally almost fell over.  Since then I've pretty much not been able to stand or sit up.  The ringing in my ears never goes away, but if I'm lying down the headache (and pain all the way down to my neck) isn't so excruciating. 

My dad came and gave me a blessing last night, and I finally called the Dr. to see what I should do.  They told me that I could go to the ER right away, but it would probably be better to come during the day (there would be an anesthesiologist during the day for sure).  I'm pretty sure they'll have to do a blood patch to make this feel better.

Cash was a trooper last night and only got up to eat a few times.  I did have Brogan come to my bed last night at 2:30.  He was just missing his momma (he rubbed my face for a good half hour) :) Then around 4:30 there was another knock at the door.  Addison came in and had the worst sounding cough and was breathing all wheezy.  Thank goodness Stewart is such a saint.  He jumped up and turned on the hot shower, rubbed every oil prescribed by Grandma on her, and got her comfortable on the couch and settled back to sleep.  Meanwhile I felt terrible that the only thing I was good for was to lie there and tell him how thankful I am for him.  I called my mom (well I called her at 4:30) ;) But I got ahold of her at 6:30.  She came over just in the knick of time.  As Stewart put Cash back to sleep the kids were just deciding to wake up (poor guy can't catch a wink of sleep!)  My mom showed up and immediately took care of getting the kids breakfast, drinks, something to do, and then started taking care of Cash. 

As of right now- Addison is still coughing a little bit (but I did take Brogan to the Dr earlier this month for the same sounding cough and they told me it was mostly due to post nasal drip... so we're hoping hers is the same).  I am still lying around being a completely helpless blob of neediness.  Stewart is catching up on some much needed sleep, and soon we'll be headed to the hospital in Twin Falls to see what they can do for my miserable spinal headache. 

I seriously don't know what I'd do without Stewart.  At a time when I feel like it's my job more than ever to be the "go to" person, I feel so completely useless, and he's done such a wonderful job of taking care of everything, all while trying to make me feel ok about it.  Also- I always do, but I still continue to owe so much to my Mom.  She's always been my lifesaver, and this is no different.  I'm so thankful that she's willing to drop whatever to help me in every way. 

We're headed to the hospital soon.  I'll update as soon as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment