.

.

Friday, December 27, 2013

Pigeon Bottles

I posted before about Cash being formula fed, but I failed to mention that he does use a special bottle and nipple.  It's called a pigeon.  The bottle is a little more squeezy than a regular bottle.  The nipple has a hard side and a soft side.  The soft side goes against his tongue and the hard side goes up (it kind of acts as a palate).  It also has a special little plug type piece that sticks in the bottom of the nipple (between the milk and the tip of the nipple).  When you squeeze the nipple it lets milk into nipple, but as soon as you stop squeezing the milk stops.  Dr. Griffiths refers to it as a "bite nipple".  Essentially Cash bites the nipple and gets milk.  When we feed him we have to take the bottle out after a couple gulps, simply because he doesn't really take time to breath when he eats.  We also burp him pretty frequently because he does take in a whole bunch more air than my other babies ever did.  And he eats better if he's sitting up rather than reclining.

I've heard some stories about the way they used to feed babies with a cleft lip, and I'm thankful it's as simple as it is now!

1 comment:

  1. I remember that bottle we were lucky and didn't have to use it much Ryan was all about breastfeeding that boy loved his milk lol he even breastfeed right after surgery it was painful for me but he didn't want the bottle at all when i was to sore we had to use a syringe to feed him his stitches hurt me to much to feed him every time but I know A LOT of people aren't as lucky as we were the doctors said he wouldn't breastfeed after the surgery that only about 1% of babies would and not to get our hopes up but he did!! :-) but every baby is different and every situation is also different you do what works best for you and him and that is all that matters!! I know how stressful all this can be but its all worth it he is such a cutie!!

    ReplyDelete